There’s no place like home, which is why you need to take steps to protect it. One of the most devastating things that can happen to a homeowner is a fire. The home insurance experts at Gill Insurance want to make sure you’re taking these five critical steps to prevent a fire at your home.
- Install and test fire alarms: Make sure you have working smoke detectors in your home. But just having them isn’t enough. You must also make sure you test them and replace the batteries regularly.
- Practice your fire escape plan: While preventing fires should be your top priority, you must also be prepared to act if one breaks out. Create a fire escape plan and practice it with your family.
- Be cautious when it comes to smoking, cooking, and using heaters: Fires are often started by actions related to smoking, cooking, or indoor heaters. If you smoke, never throw a lit cigarette into a waste bin. Put out cigarettes before you get sleepy. Also, never leave your kitchen unattended when food is on the stove or in the oven. As winter approaches, keep all indoor heaters away from flammable objects. Don’t leave heaters or other appliances on when you’re out of the house.
- Repair electrical appliances: Do you have a malfunctioning electrical appliance at your home? Don’t wait to get it fixed since it could possibly cause a fire.
- Talk to your children: Finally, talk to your children and explain the dangers of fire. Candles and other sources of flame and heat are not toys.
Sometimes fires can’t be prevented, no matter what you do. In this case, you’ll want to make sure you have a home insurance policy that protects you against this danger. Speak with an agent at Gill-Holler Insurance in Fort Mill, SC or Gill Insurance in Rock Hill, SC to learn more.