Lots of homeowners are making plans for their upcoming holiday celebrations. With Thanksgiving almost here and Christmas right around the corner, you’re probably thinking about all the things you need to check off your to-do list. But while you’re decorating, cooking, and cleaning, make sure you put safety first. Here are some tips that will help you avoid accidents and costly home insurance claims.
- Make sure your decorations are as safe as possible. Look at boxes before you buy anything new and look at the tags on what you already own. All decorations should be flame-retardant and flame-resistant whenever possible.
- Check the tree. If you purchase a fresh Christmas tree, make sure you keep it watered. Not only will it last longer, it will also be less of a fire hazard.
- Check your lights. Make sure all cords are in good condition. If you see any frayed or exposed wires, get rid of the strand and replace it with a new one.
- Turn off any lights. If you’re going to bed or leaving the house, turn off any lighted decorations before you go. Christmas lights can short out and cause a fire in an instant.
- Cook carefully. Turkey fryers are a leading cause of household fires during the holidays. But so are unattended dishes on the stove or in the oven. Set timers and be aware of what’s going on in the kitchen.
These all sound like simple things, but they’re easy to overlook during the busyness of holiday gatherings. Be safe rather than sorry and know that your friends at Gill Insurance in Rock Hill, SC and Gill-Holler Insurance in Fort Mill, SC are always looking out for your home insurance needs.