Gill Insurance Agencies: Rock Hill: 803‑324‑5300    |     Fort Mill: 803‑548‑5907    |    Mt. Pleasant: 843-388-5021

You probably think you know the basics about what homeowners insurance covers. However, it seems like whenever disaster strikes, people in the Rock Hill and Fort Mill, SC area are surprised to find out that certain types of damage aren’t covered by their policies. This brief overview from the Gill Agencies will help you better understand how your homeowners insurance policy is structured.

Although there may be some slight differences from one policy to another, most home insurance coverage is basically the same. The structure of your home and any outbuildings (such as detached garages or sheds) are protected against damages from many types of weather, fire, and theft. Your personal property (commonly referred to as contents) are also covered. Should you need to live somewhere else while repairs are made, your living expenses will be covered. Many policies also include a certain amount of liability coverage. They may also cover some medical bills for people hurt on your property.

It’s critical to understand that the basic levels of coverage in a policy may not be enough to replace what you own. If you’ve made lots of upgrades or expanded your home, you’ll want to make sure you increase your coverage. The same goes for liability protection. Many homeowners choose to upgrade this part of their policies in order to protect themselves as much as possible.

Unsure what amounts of coverage you need? You don’t have to figure it out on your own. Call Gill Insurance Agency in Rock Hill or Gill-Holler Insurance in Fort Mill to speak with one of our agents or staff. We’ll be happy to help you get the homeowners insurance coverage that’s right for you.