Gill Insurance Agencies: Rock Hill: 803‑324‑5300    |     Fort Mill: 803‑548‑5907    |    Mt. Pleasant: 843-388-5021

At the Gill Agencies, we know that your insurance often changes when you have major life milestones. One of the most exciting (and anxious) times in a family is when a teen gets a driver’s license. As the policyholder, you’ll certainly want to make sure you add your new driver to your insurance – but is there a particular time when you should take this step? Here’s some advice from our Rock Hill and Fort Mill, SC auto insurance agencies.

  • When should I notify my insurance agent? You may wonder if you should inform your insurance agency after your teenager gets a driver’s permit or wait until they get their full driver’s license. However, when you add your teenager to the policy really depends on the requirements of your state and your insurer. Call your agent before your teen applies for a permit to make sure you’re complying with all the rules and regulations.
  • What happens if I don’t add my teenager to the policy? In short, this is something you shouldn’t even consider. Should your teenager get into an accident, your agency could make you pay out-of-pocket. Even worse, they could completely deny you coverage and possibly accuse you of committing fraud or material misrepresentation.

Talk to either of our York County auto insurance agencies, Gill-Holler Insurance in Fort Mill, SC or Gill Insurance in Rock Hill, SC. Our independent insurance agents will find the right policy to protect you and your teenage driver.